Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Double bubbles (project 2)


When Corissa proposed her idea about sound of water using in a in class, I was really excited and asked to collaborate with her without any hesitation because I'm simply in love with water, and it sounds like a lot of fun. Although we has briefly discussed idea for project 2 before, we both have different expectation walking into the actual performance. Our plan was to play with the creation of sound from the contact of water with a variety of items that we picked out from our daily life like straws, cups, bubbles and invisible rubber duckies.

About the setting, we decided to light up the room to the max to keep the scene clear and bright for everyone to see. Also, we asked the audience to surround our table instead of sitting on the stools so they can see it from different angles or walk around if they wish to experience it better. It was evidently a good choice even from the beginning when the dish soap beautifully sink itself in the water, create cool visual effect for the audience to see from all angles. After that we began to use different objects to make sound with water separately from each others before combining and overlapping the sounds. And when I realized I had not much to do anymore, I grabbed my straw to join blowing bubbles with my partner. That's when we spontaneously decided to synchronize our breath and try to blow the bubble as long as we can to test our duration. 

I really love the audience's comment about how it could symbolize a conversation between two individuals and how in the end, we came into an agreement with synchronized blowing rhythm. I believe we did not plan that but it's totally makes sense when I thought about the "speech bubbles". 

To make the performance better next time, I would like to use a bigger, deeper and clearer tub with combination with different colored dish soap to create a more dynamic visual effect. Also, adding more items to vary the different sounds we have during the "conversation", including silence would be something worth trying. 

Overall, I think the performance was successful, even with the little incident at the end. 

4 comments:

  1. I think my favorite part of the performance was watching the bubble pile grow. It took that idea of the conversation and gave it a visual element. It was you two working together to create something fun and interesting for everyone. If you ad more time, more soap, and more people blowing air, it would be amazing to see that teamwork creating a mountain of bubbles. Thanks for reminding me art can be fun :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an excellent piece in most ways--- very visually appealing and fun to watch the conversation/bubbles grow! I would love to see you two try something like this again --- keep your heads together and try more ideas and use absurdity to build it. Possibly try wearing very classic/formal dress.... more Fluxus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece maid me jealous that I couldn’t perform it and this piece I think was very successful. I feel that there is a lot of opportunity with audience interaction for this piece. Instead of having white suds what would happen if you placed color in to the water and soap mix? I know you all wanted to use something like a kitty pool, would that take away from the intimate aspect of this piece? Lastly what if you just had the audience perform the piece?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the serious natured performance to a silly and childish activity. The sounds were interesting throughout the piece and the movement from activity to activity kept the piece fresh and new. I still would enjoy more activities that made different sounds. I also agree with Sandy, more goofy dressing could also make this performance more provocative.

    ReplyDelete