Sunday, March 23, 2014

About me and my art


Despite my love for art at a very young age, it wasn't until high school that I started to embrace my gifted art skills and nurture them. Up until this point, I have experienced with different mediums of traditional 2D art varying in drawing and painting.

The most common theme in my art is water. I admire the characteristics of water in term of texture, colors, transparency, fluidity... The more I think about different qualities of water, the more I can connect it to aspects of life in many ways.

Water is the source of life for plants, animal and human beings.
Water nurture life.
Sometimes we wish everything is as transparent as water.
Sometimes we wish you can change the atmosphere as easy as a drop of paint change the color of water.
Water washes things.
Water cleans things.
Water destroys things.
Water is consistent.
Water is patient
Water is adaptive; it takes forms and shapes of its container.
Water fills the gap.
Water complete things
Water is never the same.
Water is always the same.
Water makes things lighter.
Things feel lighter in water
Water reflects.
A drop of water is small.
Lots of water is large.
The list goes on and on and on.

Link to my art here
____________________________

I have always had problems accepting the concept of contemporary art. The absurdity and the fact that some seems to have taken no effort to create makes the art itself is hard to judge. I do not like how some people state that everything is art. If everything is art, nothing is art. Also in art, there are good art and bad art and hard-to-tell-if-it-is-good art. I believe to be considered art, the piece has to intentionally intrigue the audience in someway. But in the world that we live in, the blur line between art and not art confuses me in a very disturbing way. I'm aware that a lot of the materials we look in this class lie on that line.

I hope this class can somewhat answer my question about the concept of art.
Or maybe enlighten me in some way.
Or maybe change everything I have believed in.
Or ...

No comments:

Post a Comment